Sunday 15 May 2011

My Taste of Elitism

Hi all, sorry for the hiatus on blogging (not that many people will be reading this anyway)

So, since November last year quite a bit has happened in terms of my life, i'll try to bring you all up-to-date with the whole experience.

I managed to get an interview at Keble College, Oxford back in December, and well, that's all that I got from it. Wasn't the most bitter pill i've had to swallow, but it was definitely a tough one. I'm possibly more disappointed not at the fact that I didn't get an offer of placement, but more because of the way in which Oxford carries out its elimination process. Everyone is asked the same question. The professors (interviewers) don't say that, but all the interviewees congregate in the Junior Common Room and share their experiences (after being advised not to), thus giving away what people will be asked in the interviews; giving them precious chances to put themselves closer to an offer. The majority of interviewees were nice enough people, albeit highly stressed and apprehensive at making friends too quickly. After all, we were all competing against each other. The private school kids seemed to have the upper hand in keeping to themselves. I could almost feel the barrier between classes. What an eye-opener.


Aside from the interviews, I had a really good time in Oxford, I'd recommend it to anyone who's even vaguely considering applying there. The accommodation wasn't bad either, as you can see from the images. Only after chatting to other people did I realise that I actually had one of the shittier rooms. I had a shared bathroom which I suppose was a giveaway but I just thought "Hah, even Oxford has shared bathrooms". I also had a view of some of Oxford's architecture which, I admit, is stunning.
Everything about the University spells 'fancy', but what I found out is that it mostly is just that; fanciness meshed on top of fanciness. It's success stems from tradition and reputation (and money), and what I discovered while in Oxford is that it's simply a good University. Just as Bristol and Sheffield and York are all good Universities. Oxford (and Cambridge, for that matter) are quite simply the epitomy of elitism and British tradition. Not to say that tradition is a bad thing, only that perhaps this country should stop serving its aristocrats more than its 'commoners'. It was an eye-opener to see the rift between classes. I guess it's even more apparent when you're White British and growing up in Newham - possibly the most diverse area on the Planet.

Nevertheless, I have good memories of the place, and it's certainly taught me to be calm in similarly stressful situations. I made friends too, some of whom I still talk to occasionally (very occasionally, now). I could go on for pages and pages about my experience there, but it's getting late and I've got school/revision sessions to look forward to tomorrow. Hah.

Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Hi... I've just found this.. never knew you had the curse of blogging!!

    It's kind of strange how we've both been thinking back over Keble these last few days, but what you've written paints the picture of the few days we spent 'pretending' to be the elite.

    But now (forgive me.. i feel the curse of blogging over taking me!) really, i do question weather my motive to be in Oxford was because i thought it was best to further my education, or for, as you highlight, the idea of being the part of the tradition of Elitism?

    At the end of the day as you rightly put, its about the fact there's a good number of very good Uni's out there and Oxford is one of them.

    But weather its the best when you look at it as an institution to teach you CS (or whatever for that matter) thats when i think it falls down. When I applied to Oxford, i think now that it was for the massive reputation of producing the Elite that it so often does.

    But looking back, and comparing that CS department to others I've seen, I'd describe it as boring, as not going any where and perhaps not the place that i should be (i guess they made the decision for me though!)

    I must comment that i definitely got one of the better rooms, although the view of the Science Buildings was rather drab!

    So where are you up to at the moment? What uni should it be come September?

    TD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say I agree with this. We only discussed what was asked in interview after we had all had them (they were back-to-back) so nobody was put at an advantage. I certainly didn't go into any of my interviews knowing what was going to be asked...

    Likewise I am the only Computer Scientist who got into Keble (out of 4) who was privately educated. I can't see how that is elitist either...

    ReplyDelete