Thursday 26 May 2011

Local Education

Hi all,

Continuing from my last blog post...

After Leaver's Mass was ended, and after having a short conversation with a few teachers, we all traditionally headed to the great low-cost, student-standard, nearest-to-school pub that is the Hudson Bay. Now on our usual Friday evenings, there's only a few of us, perhaps 5 or 6 at the most. Yesterday we pretty much packed out the whole of the beer garden. Was a great laugh, I must admit. I stupidly forgot to take my ID with me when I left in the morning, so I had to kindly ask my mum to drop it off to me. I was hoping that the guy who usually serves us was behind the bar yesterday, instead there were different people, but people that had served me before nonetheless. Apparently everyone was being asked for their ID when they ordered drinks at the bar. Understandable though, as most of us had St. Bons blazers on and a few of the girls had their St. Angela's uniforms on. Plus, I wouldn't be able to remember so many people's faces if I were in the same position.

People didn't stay for too long, so that cued my departure too. It was still well before dusk. Me and a very close friend of mine, André, crawled over to another pub closer to where we live. We've been in there a few times now, but it's one of the pubs you go past each day but hardly think much of it; it doesn't stand out much, and nobody we know has been in there before us. Needless to say, it's not a student pub. It's more of a local's pub, more for people over the age of 30. We're probably two of the youngest regulars (I say regulars but we've only been in there once before and know the barman's name), so in a pub filled with a mix of East Londoners, we catch the few odd stories here and there.

So yeah, yesterday we were casually talking to a few regulars in the pub while sitting by the bar. Wasn't as insightful as the previous time we went in there I'll admit. The previous time we went in, soon after we walked in a few of the regulars noticed André was carrying his instrument. "Play us a tune! Comon lads". The guy's name is Marvin, although he introduced himself by a different name. At first I thought he we just playing with us, because his 'name' sounded like it might be intimidating if I was in any way involved in 80's gang culture. He showed us this tattoo on his arm. It looked quite faded so it showed how old it was, but what could be read were the letters 'I.C.F'. For those of you that aren't accustomed to East London, the ICF are the Inter City Firm; West Ham United's hooliganism group. 'Hooligan' seems too harsh a word, considering the truly decent person we met at the pub. I believe him, in all honesty, and in his words "I have no reason to be bullshittin' with ya". It was definitely an education, hearing his stories. He knew all the main people too, like Cass Pennant, being among the few people in the Firm to be black.

So after an education on the history of East London, and well-wishes of making it big in the music industry (it would double the length of this blog to explain why it's funny), we left the pub feeling more a part of London than before. Also makes me think that I should really start following football, West Ham in particular, so as to have at least something to talk about at the pub, as a safeguard in case there's nobody who happens to want to share their opinions on anything other than football. Luckily I'm usually with André, who keeps very much up-to-date with most sport. It was especially handy yesterday, because a conversation on the greatest footballers came about. Oh, and the one embarrassing event for me was managing to spill literally ALL of my pork scratchings bag over the carpet as I opened them. Such is the way of life.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment