Sunday 22 May 2011

The Root of Intelligence

Hi all,

Admittedly, over the past few weekends I have done very little revision - a lot less than I should anyway. I like spending my weekends relaxing a bit more, what can I say!

I caught up with the latest documentary series presented by Michael Mosley (another public figure I like, along with Michio Kaku and Robert Winston), "Inside the Human Body", this one about the development of our brains. It's an episode that stands out the most in my opinion, because I think it defines who we actually are; the essence of ourselves and individuality. The complexity associated with our brains is something which I think will captivate me for a while yet, and I aim to make something of this interest by making myself part of artificial intelligence research groups at the University I'm going to. I'd like to get into Bristol, as they've got research groups that are of particular interest to me, such as the one focusing on decision making: http://www.bris.ac.uk/news/2011/7561.html

The mind is truly a wonder. The biggest wonder in existence, I think. So much so, that I think we'll sooner discover the origin of the universe's existence than how our minds operate. Everything we perceive is due to the fact that our brains are routing electrical signals between microscopic nodes (that's what we think at the moment, anyway) inside our cranium. On the topic of artificial intelligence, I hope to join research groups that are focused on understanding the true meaning behind the word 'intelligence'. I wish there was a different title for AI because the meaning of the word 'intelligence' seems to shift depending on how you define it. When I went to open days at Bristol and Sheffield, I asked the lecturers what their definition of 'intelligence' was. The one at Bristol seemed taken aback at first, because he said he's not actually been asked that question before (I doubt it, but these are his words). Also, it'd be interesting to see what USA is researching, if my opportunities guide me that far.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment