Wednesday 18 May 2011

Project Uganda

Hi all,

Feeling quite worn down today, I've got a bit of a headache and I don't think I've had enough sleep. Early night for me today!

I've probably mentioned this a few times now but I'll fill you in completely with Project Uganda.
It's a project based in the 6th Form, headed by an organisation called World Challenge. They help to govern expedition programmes for young people to experience life outside their comfy First-world countries. You might be thinking "Why the hell would you want to go to a third-world country that's probably dangerous and full of disease?". If so, then you Sir, have a very narrow mindset. Broaden your horizons, for goodness' sake. Sure, the country may be worse-off than ours in terms of healthcare and finance, but it hosts a different world to the cosy and mundane world you've grown up in. I guess you'd only slightly agree with me if your parents have houses in these countries, because in that case, your experience of those countries would possibly mean you're still living cosily and not much different to how you are back home.

If you're a person living in an 'inner-city' area, chances are you've already seen the worst state of living in this country. Council estates, homelessness, eviction... at least homeless people have access to free food and support to get them back with a roof over their head. This is how a lot of people live in third world countries. Minus the free food. Minus the ample support centres. Minus the safety in knowing you're being looked after in the most basic way by your country.

I didn't choose the destination, nor did any of the other 6 students. Uganda's a country in the centre of Africa, has a rainforest-like climate and passes through the equator (in case you didn't know anything about it apart from "Eat Da Poo Poo" and Fonejacker's George Agdgdgwngo). Oh and I'm going there in... 7 weeks time!

We'll firstly be introduced to the country by going on community trails and short treks through rural villages in Western Uganda. Then we'll be doing 10 days of project work in a primary school, possibly helping to build their playground, renovate classrooms and perhaps even teach for a bit. I'm most looking forward to this part. I'm loving the idea of making an impact on a small community of people, helping them to have a better quality of life. A true gift of life. No doubt I'll be taking LOTS of photographs. I've never left Europe before, and I really do love going to different environment and seeing new things. I'd like to document what happens too, so I'll probably end up continuing this blog while I'm there. Oh, and for the last few days we'll be going on Safaris and be all tourist-y.

I think the headache has merged with my neck and back now, time for that early night.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment