Friday 2 March 2012

Social Clubbing


Hi all.

Okay so, I know it's been a long time since I last blogged, but I won't give you a full run-through of what's happened in the past few months because frankly, it'd be a bit tedious. Although, if you manage to make it to the end of this post, then cheers!

Why'd I decide to blog about something now? probably two reasons, the first being the fact that I made a 'pinky promise' with one of the flatmates to stay awake till 5, so I'm basically trying to kill time; the other reason would be the fact that I'm now back at my flat, after having left my flatmates in a club, mainly because my level of soberness was by far the highest out of everyone there. More importantly, I shall now explain why I hate clubs.

First off, I'd like to make it clear that I do understand why people go to clubs; it's a social thing to do, there's euphoric music with a decent soundsystem, there's a chance to pick up a one-night stand, and it's an excuse to get completely off your face on every substance known to man. They're fair points, depending on what sort of person you are. Personally, they're poor excuses.

As such, most if not all the times I've been at a club I've been sober enough to look at the complete mess of states that people are in. I can't help but observe people as they sway their wrecked masses about, casually bumping into each other, occasionally looking around for people to grind on. Possibly the thing that annoys me most about clubs are the people who casually move up behind someone they haven't met and proceed to rub themselves into the other person's crotch like a sexually frustrated chihuahua. Idiots. I go on a bit of a rage when the person involved is someone I know, and they clearly aren't comfortable.

After noticing that sort of thing happening, I begin to start judging everyone in the club, and come to the conclusion that simply put, society is really messed up. The worst thing is when I realise that I'm simply not of the right frame of mind to start a group conversation or contribute, because I'm too busy thinking about how much of a bad time I'm having. Either that reason, or the fact that I'm a lot shorter than everyone else so people don't notice me. Then again, this does happen to me even when we're having group conversations at other times. Perhaps it's my low self-esteem that I seem to have developed since the start of University. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving my time here, but I just feel like people view me in a completely different way to how my friends back in London did. Not that it's a bad thing, I just think I still have to have time to adjust. Mehhhhhh.

Until next time.

2 comments:

  1. To be honest, when I first moved to Bristol, it was a huge change for me too - I had never drunk or gone clubbing. As they say, all things new come with shimmers and I loved it. However, I now see your point - I was recently sober in a club and it was possibly the worst experience of my life. Unfortunately, being a girl, I was one of those girls that drunken guys mistake for being a slag they can get with; the way they look at you, try to talk to you and, worse, touch you makes you feel dirty to even be there.

    However, I really doubt I'll stop going to clubs - yes, it is social, I do go out a lot less, appreciate sober conversation more than drunken gibberish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, sober conversation is the best conversation. It's a shame that drunk conversations happen more often!

      I don't think I could handle being in a club as a girl. I'd get into too many fights..

      Delete