Saturday 1 October 2011

Point Not Proven


Hi all,

I know it's been ages since I last blogged, and quite a few things have happened in my life since then. Uganda is amazing, I had a brilliant three weeks out there, and if you've read my previous post, you'll get the idea that my enthusiasm is now stronger than ever when it comes to travelling the world. Shortly after I came back to stubborn old London, I managed to get some temporary work at the same place my dad works at. The job was immensely brain-numbing, and let's just say I really do hope I find some work in Bristol next summer. I guess the main thing bugging me was the fact that such a high proportion of the other employees had little English skills, so having a conversation with them just wasn't possible. There's only so many times you can package nail polish before you start feeling like an emotionless machine. Nevertheless, the payment from the job means that I can now pay for my accommodation at Uni for the first term at least, since the government seem to like to take their time in giving people money (even though we people have to act hastily if it's the other way around).

So, today's the day before I move into Goldney Hall in Bristol, and I really can't wait any longer. These past few weeks have been dragging so much, especially seeing my friend's photos from their Freshers events. It'll be worth the wait, I know :)

Quite a few people have asked me if I'm going to join an Atheist society. It's funny, I guess the meetings of an Atheist society would be the equivalent of going to Church on Sunday for Christians. I've never really been in an environment where the people around me share the same theology as me, but I guess that's to do with being brought up in a Catholic school most of my life. I'll check out Bristol's 'Atheist, Agnostic and Secular Society', besides, they're meeting in a pub, how can I resist? Then again, I'm a bit cautious about how well theology goes down for anyone when they've had a few too many.

Had a conversation with a preacher earlier today up in Ilford town centre, after fetching lunch from Sainsbury's. The most interesting thing about what she said was the fact that she said my first name and mentioned that I am an engineer (Computer Science kinda counts, at least in Bristol it's under the faculty of engineering) without asking me, and the only piece of identification I had was my Oyster card, which was hidden in my pocket. It was impressive, I'll be honest. Then again, so is an experienced illusionist, or a psychic or a medium. Whether or not science explains her guessing my name correctly doesn't matter. It still doesn't prove her points about religion any further. She was a nice person, but like most people, she was too set in her own thoughts to even consider others. She admitted that she wouldn't believe in Jesus like she does if she was raised as a Muslim, yet she currently believes that the only way she will reach eternal life is by being submissive to Jesus and accepting Him as her saviour. I tried to put it into perspective for her, but she seems to lack the ability to understand that her thoughts are fallible. She gave me some leaflets and YouTube links, but like most people, I just put them into the bin along with the packaging from my lunch. I mean no offence to her by that action, but she and others like her need to understand that you should never try to invade people's beliefs (or non-beliefs) in theology unless you're the one being attacked. As much as she hopes her messages got across to me, I hope mine got across to her.

Until next time, question everything; accept nothing without evidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment