Saturday 11 June 2011

The Right Education


Hi all,

I'm afraid my ranting about religious things hasn't halted just yet. I could put this down to the fact that I've been reading more of The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, or down to my own personal opinions on the matter. Today I shall address one major subject which affects the majority of the readers of this blog; 'faith' schools, and my reasons for abolishing them.

Call me a hypocrite when I say this, but I really do think that faith schools should be completely and utterly abolished. Why can't all schools open their gates to every child? Why do schools still insist on picking and choosing children, based on something which they cannot actually help; their religion. What, you're saying that it's fair that a child should be denied an education in a place where there is a better quality of teaching, JUST because their parents have particular religious beliefs? Yes, I specifically said parents instead of the child, because how is the child meant to have made the conscious decision to be inclined to a particular religion? If you think the child can still make this decision for themselves, consider yourself indoctrinated of religion, my friend. But have no fear! It may still not be too late for your rationality.

I was brought up in a faith school, both for my primary and secondary school years. Neither school in my opinion has shoved religion down my throat so to speak, however I do vividly remember the ritualistic processes of prayer and hymn reciting. Luckily, my brain never registered such words as "My Lord, my Saviour" or "Lord, I am not worthy to receive You" or "Our Father, who art in Heaven" as anything more than mere words that everyone else was reciting, rather than take their literal meaning. I've been Baptised and received Holy Communion, but these rituals were nothing more than that to me; a necessary few actions which helped me to get into the best secondary school in my local area. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for my parents to get me into the schools I went to, for they have made me who I am today; a rational thinker with a limitless amount of learning awaiting me. However, this does not mean that what I have been fortunate to have is in any way fair to people of other faiths. I only started thinking about it in Year 11. It's amazing how long I was lulled by the favourable and friendly face of Catholicism/Christianity. The thing is, St. Bon's just so happens to have teachers that are good at teaching and have a reputation for it. Age and reputation go hand in hand in making an educational institution successful; take a look at Oxford, the western world's oldest university.

You cannot possibly say that Catholics are more intelligent or capable of success than Muslims or Hindus or Jews. I think there'd be a good chance that if there was a Jewish school founded before St. Bon's in the same area, the Jewish school would be as successful if not more so than St. Bon's in terms of the numbers of students it teaches that go on to lead lives that they desire.

Faith schools cause segregation, which leads to discrimination and degradation. More so, it is a Petri dish for religious indoctrination; encouraging students to believe in things before they can put their own rational thoughts and judgement before them. "Believe in God, mate, you won't get those A*'s otherwise!" Needless to say, St. Bon's didn't go by this slogan, but the constant prayers before lessons, going to Mass at the end of each half-term or term, along with the centralised teaching of Catholicism in GCSE R.E. meant that we were surrounded by this idea of a presence of a higher being, who would send you to hell for eternity when you die, if you forget to say your prayers or forget to go to Mass and don't apologise to him by going to a ritual performed by a priest who acts as God's ears (even though God can hear you anyway, because he is omnipresent and omniscient). Yes, this greater being will shun you and make you burn in hellfire for eternity if you don't obey his rules ...but don't forget, he still loves you.

Sorry mate, but according to your rules and even those of Muhammad, I should be beheaded or stoned to death or punished severely in some way for blaspheming. -oh I'm sorry, those rules are completely subject to people's own interpretations of what the 'holy books' say. Everyone's a winner then? No, much more likely the loser, including you. Yes, you, reader.

Why should people of any other faith or non-faith and within the London Borough of Newham not be permitted initial entry to St. Bon's? I understand that the school is over-subscribed, but that does not mean that you have to pick-and-choose who goes in by religion. That's exactly like picking and choosing according to skin colour. The child cannot help their labelled religion. They should not be judged based on their parents, for starters.

Mr. Cameron and other Members of Parliament, if you cannot totally abolish faith schools, at least stop new ones from emerging. For the greater good.

Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete