Sunday 28 July 2013

Mental Discussion

Hi all,

So, I've reached that point again where I become engrossed in heavy thoughts. Thoughts of reflection upon my current situation, and how I can go about doing the things I really want to do. I'm sure you've had many of these moments too.

I guess I can start by saying that I really, really, really want to go abroad. I need to go somewhere fresh, to discard my current social and work-related baggage and simply enjoy life, seizing each opportunity and going with whatever interests me. To feel free. Isn't that what everyone wants?

The last time I truly felt such an amazing level of freedom was in Uganda two years ago. I love immersing myself in new environments, with the right balance of danger and safety to make things interesting. In a way, I'm envious of how the people there live simple lives - living off the land and making just enough to get by. There's no worry about getting a mortgage, battling with energy companies, or competing against a thousand other qualified people for a single job position, at a business which only seeks to help itself.

I guess the biggest question I've been asking myself is "for a first job, should I take priority over getting a job which I enjoy, or a job that has a high salary?" If I asked myself that question a year ago, I'd say getting a job which I enjoy is more important. I've found myself re-thinking that answer. On the whole, my answer is still the same, but I realise it's a much more complicated question than I initially thought.

I know I shouldn't deny multiple points of view, but in my mind, teaching seems like the most comfortable job for me. Not comfortable as in 'easy', but comfortable in that the job brings in a steady, reasonable income, I can afford to buy a humble abode within 10 years of working (stress the word 'humble'), and most importantly, I am making a real and positive difference to society.

Now, I'm not denying the fact that I could be living in that humble abode much sooner by working in private industry, then switch to teaching, but I question the real advantage I am giving myself by working in a job where the core meaning of my work is to fill the pockets of authoritarian people. Besides, I'm not the sort of person who wants to live in a mansion.

Of course, another fact is that my lack of dedication to teaching if I were to start in another industry. I quite like the idea of moving up in the hierarchy of a school, perhaps one day becoming a headteacher (in which case, I'd be earning loads of money anyway), but I do question how the leadership roles differ from each other, particularly the abstraction to which you are actually helping the kids. As a headteacher, you might not be engaging with kids in the same way that a standard teacher will. Regardless, The sooner I start my career in teaching, the sooner I will build up my technique and experience, and the sooner I can be qualified for higher positions.

I'll leave the mental discussion here for now. Time to sleep and digest.

Until next time.

2 comments:

  1. Very informative and well written post! I would suggest this blog to my friends also

    Samsung - 15.6" Laptop - 8GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive - Silver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope your friends like it too :)

      Delete