Friday 6 July 2012

Intellectual Restrictions


Hi all,

So, I'm now a new tenant of a house in Bristol, along with 3 other lovely people whom I've made good friends with during my First Year at Uni. I'm typing this while I'm here, and being the only person in a new house feels strange, can't quite put a word on it yet.

The other peeps couldn't be here to stay for the first week of the tenancy, so it rested on me to carry out the all-important form-filling of the inventory sheet, half of which wasn't filled out properly enough by the estate agents, but I guess you can't blame it on the busy folk, because you know, they've obviously got better things to worry about than a smoke alarm that was hidden on top of a kitchen cupboard and didn't have a battery fitted in – I've bought a battery and tested it myself, so no worries now.

The house is in generally good condition, considering some of the rubbish tips dotted around Bristol that are being advertised as suitable student accommodation. Apart from the heating making a dodgy loud noise if all the radiators are turned off, it's cosy. I particularly like my own room. Tis not the biggest, but allows me all the comforts a Computer Scientist needs; a desk situated in a small alcove-like corner, with easy-to-reach shelf space above, not to mention a very comfy office chair. Situated directly to my right is a window, which luckily has a black pull-down blind to shield me from that ever-so-harmful sunlight when I'm zoned into my laptop. Oh, and I have a double bed!

I arrived on Monday, and I stupidly booked my coach for 3pm on Sunday. By now I've already received the letters we needed, filled in and handed back the inventory sheet and criticised all I can about the house that jeopardises immediate human safety. Couple this with no home internet access, and I am quite literally on the verge of madness, hence why I'm writing this.

It's strange, I never appreciate just how much I take the internet for granted. Even when I think I'm bored while surfing the web, I'm not really, I'm just unfocused. Being without internet does leave you in a state of deep thought, just sitting on a chair, thinking of what to do, inevitably leading to thoughts of possible lifestyle changes that you never get around to doing, or fictional scenarios that play in your head (otherwise known as daydreaming). In a way, I reckon the internet can limit people's imaginations and thought processes. What's the point in thinking about something if you can just Google it?

Oh, in case you're wondering, I'm posting this a day late, and using the University's internet within one of the libraries. I'm now just counting down the hours till my coach home.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment