Friday 11 May 2012

Tasting Fame


I guess I should probably blog about my recent appearance on TV, so here goes (apologies if you've heard about this over a dozen times already from Facebook):

From being on the mailing list of the Atheist, Agnostic and Secular Society at Uni (thank you AASS!), I saw an opportunity to be part of the audience for BBC's "The Big Questions". There were two filming slots: a live-broadcast morning show and a pre-recording afternoon show, which would be aired the following week. The only show where the main question was revealed was the afternoon show, the question being "Is religion good for children?" - as you can probably guess, I felt compelled to go. After e-mailing the researcher and getting confirmation, I was given an audience member slot on the show. However chaps, the excitement didn't end there, for I was to be called up again, this time by the producer of the show, and was asked to sit at the front with the main speakers. I told the researcher my experience with education in faith schools throughout pre-University, so my guess is that she forwarded it onto the producer.

The recording was done on Sunday 29th April, and the show aired last Sunday 6th May. Needless to say, my heart was pounding throughout the recording. At the time I kept contemplating how I was surrounded by various prestigious people, all leaders in various groups of believers and non-believers, mostly intelligent people, some questionably so. I felt so bathed in religious differences it reminded me of being back in 6th Form, having casual debates with friends. Except in this situation, there were people who have devoted many years to defending their beliefs, most for more than my entire lifespan. I was possibly among the youngest people in the recording room, definitely so amongst the front row speakers in the audience. Nevertheless, I felt I got my story and my point across, and had an extra bonus of making a Professor eat his words after accusing me of being too young to choose my stance on religion. There were loads of opportunities for me to get my point across throughout the entire debate, but the other members had more articulated answers than what I could give, especially in my nervous-wreck of a disposition with the cameras and glaring eyes.

I spoke about my Catholic educational upbringing, and how I 'came out' as an Atheist to the 6th Form at the final Mass. I didn't mention their name, I didn't want to cause embarassment for the school (according to a Headteacher), even though I do not understand why it would be an embarassment. I took it as a way of saying that they are ashamed that I have proclaimed my lack of faith in Catholicism and religion altogether. Why should they be? I am the same person they've always seen, and I always will be. Just because I choose not to affiliate myself with religion does not make me any less of a person or an example for the school. They did not choose me to become Head Boy because I was Catholic. Why should it make a difference? On second thought, perhaps I have embarassed them. I have embarassed them because perhaps they now realise that what they saw on the television was not some husk of a person they used to see only a year ago, but the same exact person. I haven't heard anything from them since I e-mailed them a few days before the filming in April. I wonder if they'd be willing to drop me a polite e-mail congratulating me on being on TV and promoting good morals if only I had been on the other side of the audience; saying the same exact words, but without the absence of a religion. Maybe I should e-mail them? Maybe.

I met some amazing people on the show, the secular panellists (avec moi) are pictured below.
Starting from the left is Stephen Law, Philosopher and Author of books containing various challenging philosophical questions with relation to religion, most notably his book "The War for Children's Minds", which I plan to read very soon. Next is Antony Lempert, GP and head of the Secular Medical Forum, originating from a Jewish background (one of the few people who have the ability to read the Torah and preach its contradictions!). To the right of me is Irtaza Hussain, representing the council of ex-Muslims and originating from an Islam-dominant Pakistani education. At the far right is Andrew Copson, Chief Executive of the British Humanist Association and all-round preacher for reason and human morals. All awesome people, was an honour to meet them all, and I hope I get the opportunity to meet each of them again.

Overall, an amazing and enriching experience, and has definitely both built my confidence and opened up my mind to the established organisations and sheer amount of people who share my thoughts and are as passionate or even more so than I am about them.

You can watch the episode here on iPlayer. Only available till this coming Sunday!!

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment